Can I Get a New York Child Support Decree Modified?

By The Law Offices of Paul A. Boronow, PC on February 25, 2016

If you have young children, your New York divorce probably included discussions of child support. You’re probably answering to a decree that states how much and how often one parent is expected to contribute financially to the child’s basic needs. In New York, either parent may ask the court to modify a child support decree. The decree may need to be modified if:

  • There has been a “substantial change in circumstances,” like a change in the child’s medical needs
  • The order is at least three years old and was made on or after October 13, 2010
  • Either parent’s income has increased or decreased more than 15 percent since the last order was made

If none of these situations apply, the court may still grant a modification to a child support decree – but only if the parent who requests the change can show an “unanticipated and unreasonable change of circumstances.” This may include, for example, the parent’s inability to find a job despite an exhaustive, focused search for work.

Along with these options, parents who create a child support decree can include their own terms for changing or modifying it. However, any terms the parents add must fit within New York child support law, be accepted by a judge, and be included in the original child support order.

Call Us Today

At the Law Offices of Paul A. Boronow, PC, our experienced Long Island child support lawyers can help you address the terms of your current child support decree so that they more accurately reflect your ability to provide for your child. Contact us today to learn more. You can reach us at (516) 227-5353.

Related Articles:

Posted in: Child Support

Share This WebsiteE-mail a link to this website

More questions about Family Law?

170 Old Country Road Suite 303
Mineola, NY 11501
Phone: 516-227-5353 |
Contact Us | View Map

Disclaimer: The legal information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice, nor the formation of a lawyer or attorney client relationship. Any results set forth herein are based upon the facts of that particular case and do not represent a promise or guarantee. Please contact an attorney for a consultation on your particular legal matter. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the state of New York.

© 2022 The Law Offices of Paul A. Boronow, P.C. All rights reserved - Disclaimer | Criminal Defense | Estate Litigation | Blog Site Map