Creating New Year’s Traditions after Divorce

By The Law Offices of Paul A. Boronow, PC on December 22, 2014

NY Divorce LawyerPeople who struggle through their first set of winter holidays during or after a divorce usually breathe a sigh of relief when Hanukah, Kwanzaa, or Christmas is over. But your first New Year’s Eve on your own can be even more taxing. At a time of year when everyone is partying and enjoying the excitement of the New Year, how do you reconcile your need to start fresh with your longing for old traditions?

Here are some steps to take to create new New Year’s traditions after a divorce or separation:

  1. Get the kids involved. During the rest of the holiday season, you’ve probably tried to keep things as “normal” as possible for the children. Kids need stability, and the same menorah lighting, holiday pageants, or tree decorating as last year can provide comfort. But if you’ll have the kids for New Year’s, ask them for help in creating a new tradition. Maybe New Year’s Eve is perfect for movie night, or it can be spent playing board games.
  2. Make your own plans. If you have no children or the kids will spend New Year’s with their other parent, make plans of your own. Join friends or travel someplace you’ve always wanted to see. Don’t forget to connect with your kids and other loved ones on this day, however; Skype or telephone to say “Happy New Year!”
  3. Consider not making New Year’s resolutions. A divorce forces you to make new beginnings, whether or not you feel ready. Throwing the usual “this year I’m going to the gym and eating right!” on top of the pile may simply make you feel overwhelmed. Instead of taking on New Year’s resolutions, focus on restoring a sense of balance to your daily life and moving forward. Your experienced Long Island divorce attorney can help.

If you are looking for an experienced divorce lawyer in New York, contact the Law Offices of Paul A. Boronow, P.C. We can help you navigate the complicated legal processes of divorce while protecting your interests. For more info, call our office today.

Related Articles:

Posted in: Divorce

Share This WebsiteE-mail a link to this website

More questions about Family Law?

170 Old Country Road Suite 303
Mineola, NY 11501
Phone: 516-227-5353 |
Contact Us | View Map

Disclaimer: The legal information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice, nor the formation of a lawyer or attorney client relationship. Any results set forth herein are based upon the facts of that particular case and do not represent a promise or guarantee. Please contact an attorney for a consultation on your particular legal matter. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the state of New York.

© 2019 The Law Offices of Paul A. Boronow, P.C. All rights reserved - Disclaimer | Criminal Defense | Estate Litigation | Blog Site Map