Getting the Kids Ready for Back to School After Divorce

By The Law Offices of Paul A. Boronow, PC on July 26, 2015

Long Island Back to SchoolNavigating the first post-divorce year is often the most difficult.  Although you’ve worked out a parenting plan with your ex, having the plan on paper doesn’t always guarantee a smooth transition to action.

Sending Kids Back To School After Divorce

If you’re preparing to send the kids back to school for the first time under your new parenting plan, or you want to make this year’s transition smoother than last year’s, here are some ways to make the change easier:

  • Talk to your child’s new teacher as soon as possible. If you can, meet with your child’s teacher before the school year begins, or during the first week. Mention that you are divorced or separated, and ask the teacher for duplicate flyers and handouts.  If your child is still adjusting to the divorce, you may wish to ask the teacher to keep an eye on your child’s emotional well-being.
  • Make sure the school has both parents’ contact information. Double-check to ensure the school has the complete and correct contact information for both you and your child’s other parent. Decide with your child’s other parent which of you will be the “primary” parental contact, and notify the school.  This makes it easier for the school to reach one or both of you if an emergency situation occurs.
  • Encourage your child and listen to their feelings. Tell your child that you believe they’ll do well this school year, both socially and academically, and that you’re there to listen to any concerns they have. Be willing to let your child talk to you – to “vent,” ask questions, cry, be anxious, or just to feel heard.

If you’re worried about co-parenting during the school year, talk to your therapist, your Long Island divorce lawyer, or another adult – not your child. The attorneys of The Law Offices of Paul A. Boronow, P.C. are always ready to listen.

Related Articles:

Posted in: Divorce

Share This WebsiteE-mail a link to this website

More questions about Family Law?

170 Old Country Road Suite 303
Mineola, NY 11501
Phone: 516-227-5353 |
Contact Us | View Map

Disclaimer: The legal information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice, nor the formation of a lawyer or attorney client relationship. Any results set forth herein are based upon the facts of that particular case and do not represent a promise or guarantee. Please contact an attorney for a consultation on your particular legal matter. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the state of New York.

© 2019 The Law Offices of Paul A. Boronow, P.C. All rights reserved - Disclaimer | Criminal Defense | Estate Litigation | Blog Site Map