Long Island Child Support Attorneys Answer Your FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions Concerning Child Support in New York

In New York State, every child is entitled to financial and emotional support from both parents. This is even if one or more of the parents does not have custody of the child.

Who's responsible for paying child support, how much they are obligated to pay each month, and other issues about child support are determined by many different factors. The circumstances involved in each individual case are different. If you are a custodial parent and are applying for child support, it is a good idea to seek the guidance of an experienced family law attorney.

The Long Island child support lawyers at the Law Offices of Paul A. Boronow, PC has over 20 years experience handling child custody cases in the greater New York City area. We consider it our mission to get you and your child the best agreement possible.

For a free, no obligation consultation, call us at (516) 227-5353.

Common Questions about New York Child Support

The following are some of the more frequent questions clients have asked us.

Q: Who is eligible to apply for child support services?

A: If you are the parent, child, or guardian of a child that needs support, you are eligible to apply for child support.

Back to Top

Q: How long will my child receive child support?

A: In most cases, your child should receive child support payments until they reach age 21. Under certain circumstances, child support can be suspended or terminated. This can happen if a child over the age of 16:

  • Becomes an emancipated minor and lives with neither parent
  • Becomes financially self-supporting
  • Gets married
  • Enters into military service

Back to Top

Q: What if the non-custodial parent has no income?

A: Even if a non-custodial parent is unemployed, certain other sources of payment can be considered income. These can include:

  • Workers' compensation
  • Pensions
  • Fellowships
  • Stipends
  • Annuity payments
  • Disability payments
  • Unemployment
  • Social Security
  • Veterans benefits
  • Retirement benefits

The court can also impute income based on support received from others or the prior earnings history of the non-custodial parent.

Back to Top

Q: What if my ex-spouse or partner has joint custody of the child?

A: If the child spends equal time with each parent, one parent may still be required to pay child support. This happens when there is an income disparity between the two parents.

Back to Top

Get the Help You Need Now

Applying for child support can be tough, but it's a necessary task. To get you and your child adequate financial support, it is important to be represented by an experienced Nassau County child support attorney.

The Law Offices of Paul A. Boronow, PC will handle all the legal needs of your case, including matters involving child support arrears and modification, and free you up to do your main job, which is parenting.

Call our Nassau County offices at (516) 227-5353 for a free consultation.

Additional Information

Share This WebsiteE-mail a link to this website

More questions about Child Support?

Call us today at 516-227-5353 for a free consultation

Dedicated. Compassionate. On Your Side

New York Bar Association Memberships

Admitted in New York
State, Second
Judicial Department
U.S. District Court for
the Eastern District
of New York
U.S. District Court for
the Southern District
of New York
Matrimonial Mediator:
Nassau County Special
Master-Neutral Evaluation
Matrimonial Arbitrator:
Nassau County Supreme
Court Fee Dispute Panel
Nassau County
Bar Association,
Mineola, NY
The American
Bar Association

170 Old Country Road Suite 303
Mineola, NY 11501
Phone: 516-227-5353 |
Contact Us | View Map

Long Island Child Support Lawyer Disclaimer: The legal information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice, nor the formation of a lawyer or attorney client relationship. Any results set forth herein are based upon the facts of that particular case and do not represent a promise or guarantee. Please contact an attorney for a consultation on your particular legal matter. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the state of New York.

© 2021 The Law Offices of Paul A. Boronow, PC All rights reserved - Disclaimer | Site Map