Long Island, NY Family Law Appeal Lawyers

Experienced Help for Your Family Law Appeal

Family law covers a wide range of different areas - divorce, child support, custody, and even domestic violence. All of these situations can be extremely stressful and difficult to navigate within the New York legal system. Once a ruling is made on a case within the domain of family law, the challenge is not necessarily over. If you have had a ruling made against you, and you feel the judge has made a mistake, then an appeal can give you a chance to make right the errors in your case.

Do not try to appeal your case alone. While the initial process of having a case heard in family court can be complex, the appeals process is potentially even more difficult. An experienced Nassau County family law attorney can help you understand each step of the appeals process and ensure your case gets a fair and thorough review. Call the Law Offices of Paul A. Boronow, PC, today at (516) 227-5353 for a free consultation to discuss your case and go over your options for appeal.

What Is a Family Law Appeal?

First, it is important to understand what a family law appeal is not. It is not a retrial or new hearing for your case, regardless of the nature of your family law situation. An appeal is an opportunity for a judge to review your original court case hearing and see if there was an error or mistake made by the original judge, which may have resulted in an unfair or improper order or ruling. You cannot typically introduce new evidence or provide additional information that was not in your original hearing.

Should the appellate judge determine that a mistake or error was made by the previous judge that impacted the outcome of the case or the order issued by the court, then it may be overturned and changed. This means, for example, that if a judge issues an order granting custody of a child to one parent, when joint custody or custody by the other parent should occur based on the information in the original hearing, then a new order may result from the appeals process.

How Do I File a Family Law Appeal?

After an order is issued by a family court judge, you have a limited amount of time in which to file an appeal. You typically have about 30 days to file an appeal after an order is issued by the court, which means that time is of the essence. Delaying your appeal too long can prevent you from filing and leave you with no alternative but to accept the order from the family law court.

The best way to file a family law appeal is almost always to contact an experienced Long Island lawyer to file on your behalf. Not only will your attorney understand the deadlines for filing and each step of the appeals process, but an experienced lawyer can identify where mistakes have been made that open up the opportunity for a valid appeal. Appealing your family law order is too important to leave to chance; you need an experienced attorney to work on your behalf.

I Represented Myself in Court; Can I Still File an Appeal?

Yes, you can file an appeal no matter how you were represented initially in family court. While you should always have a knowledgeable, experienced lawyer to represent you in legal matters, choosing to represent yourself at the initial hearing does not preclude you from filing an appeal. You can contact a Long Island family lawyer after the order is issued to work with you and file an appeal on your behalf.

If you or a loved one has had a family court judge issue an order that you feel is unfair or not supported by the facts of your case, then call the Law Offices of Paul A. Boronow, PC, today at (516) 227-5353. We can discuss your case, talk about your options, and help you understand the best way to move forward with your family law appeal.

Share This WebsiteE-mail a link to this website

More questions about Family Law Appeals?

Call us today at 516-227-5353 for a free consultation

Dedicated. Compassionate. On Your Side

New York Bar Association Memberships

Admitted in New York
State, Second
Judicial Department
U.S. District Court for
the Eastern District
of New York
U.S. District Court for
the Southern District
of New York
Matrimonial Mediator:
Nassau County Special
Master-Neutral Evaluation
Matrimonial Arbitrator:
Nassau County Supreme
Court Fee Dispute Panel
Nassau County
Bar Association,
Mineola, NY
The American
Bar Association

170 Old Country Road Suite 303
Mineola, NY 11501
Phone: 516-227-5353 |
Contact Us | View Map

Nassau County Family Law Appeal Attorney Disclaimer: The legal information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice, nor the formation of a lawyer or attorney client relationship. Any results set forth herein are based upon the facts of that particular case and do not represent a promise or guarantee. Please contact an attorney for a consultation on your particular legal matter. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the state of New York.

© 2021 The Law Offices of Paul A. Boronow, PC All rights reserved - Disclaimer | Site Map