Parental Alienation in New York

What You Can Do About Hostile Aggressive Parenting

It's a shame that such wonderful things as love and intimacy can easily turn into hatred, bitterness, and revenge. This is why breakups and divorces can be such destructive and messy affairs. What is particularly sad is when the angry nature of a breakup or divorce is damaging to the children involved.

If you're planning on getting a divorce and feel that it could take an ugly turn, or if you're divorced and feel your ex is damaging your relationship with your kids, you may want to consult an experienced Long Island family law attorney.

The Law Offices of Paul A. Boronow, PC have represented separated and divorced parents in Nassau County for over 20 years. We're passionate about preserving parental rights and helping parents build healthy relationships with their kids.

For a free, discreet, no obligation consultation, call our offices today at (516) 227-5353.

We know how important your relationship with your child or children is to you and can help you keep that relationship a positive one.

What Exactly is Parental Alienation Syndrome?

According to the Parental Alienation Awareness Organization (PAAO), parental alienation (or hostile aggressive parenting) is "a group of behaviors that are damaging to children's mental and emotional well-being, and can interfere with a relationship of a child and either parent."

This means that one or both parents are trying to get a child to turn against the other parent. The PAAO also states, "These behaviors most often accompany high conflict marriages, separation, or divorce."

What Behaviors Constitute Parental Alienation Syndrome?

Parental alienation syndrome can come in many forms. It happens when one, or both, parents:

  • Encourage a child to pretend the other parent doesn't exist or is not their real parent.
  • Forbid a child to mention the other parent's name.
  • Refuse to acknowledge that a child enjoys spending time with the other parent
  • Attack the other parent's character or other attributes (such as lifestyle, looks, job, financial situation, living arrangements, activities, friends, etc.)
  • Encourage a child to spy on the other parent and report back to them.
  • Has the child relay negative, false, or hurtful messages to the other parent.
  • Discuss the parents' court battles with the child and encourages them to take sides against the other parent.
  • Encourage the child to fear or distrust the other parent.
  • Lie about how the other parent treats the child.
  • Conjure up false reasons to deny visits.
  • Deny the other parent access to school and health records and information.
  • Suggest the other parent never wanted or cared for the child.

What Can I Do about Parental Alienation?

If you feel your child is being subjected to methods of parental alienation, experts encourage the following:

  • Understanding: Realize that the child's attitude changes aren't their fault.
  • Documentation: Keep a chronological log of symptoms of parental alienation you notice in your child (including photographs, school reports and records, medical records, and things your child may accuse you of or say).
  • Psychology: Get the appropriate therapy for your child and keep records of the therapist's evaluations.
  • Consult: In addition to consulting with your child's therapist, consult an expert family law attorney.

The Law Offices of Paul A. Boronow, PC have successfully represented parents in the greater New York City area for over two decades. We know how important your relationship with your child or children is to you and can help you keep that relationship a positive one.

Call our offices today at (516) 227-5353 for a free consultation. Don't hesitate.

Share This WebsiteE-mail a link to this website

More questions about Custody & Visitation?

Call us today at 516-227-5353 for a free consultation

Dedicated. Compassionate. On Your Side

New York Bar Association Memberships

Admitted in New York
State, Second
Judicial Department
U.S. District Court for
the Eastern District
of New York
U.S. District Court for
the Southern District
of New York
Matrimonial Mediator:
Nassau County Special
Master-Neutral Evaluation
Matrimonial Arbitrator:
Nassau County Supreme
Court Fee Dispute Panel
Nassau County
Bar Association,
Mineola, NY
The American
Bar Association

170 Old Country Road Suite 303
Mineola, NY 11501
Phone: 516-227-5353 |
Contact Us | View Map

Long Island Child Custody Lawyer Disclaimer: The legal information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice, nor the formation of a lawyer or attorney client relationship. Any results set forth herein are based upon the facts of that particular case and do not represent a promise or guarantee. Please contact an attorney for a consultation on your particular legal matter. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the state of New York.

© 2021 The Law Offices of Paul A. Boronow, PC All rights reserved - Disclaimer | Site Map