Nassau County Post Divorce Modification Attorney

Post-Divorce Modification and Enforcement

Divorce disputes don't always end once the divorce is finalized. There are times in which ex spouses continue to disagree on certain parts of their divorce, and changes need to be made. Most post-divorce modifications aren't the result of arguments, but of significant life changes. If the financial situation for either spouse has changed from when the divorce was settled, it may be necessary to change certain aspects of the court orders.

The experienced Long Island divorce attorneys at the Law Offices of Paul A. Boronow, PC understand the complex laws governing these cases. We'll work diligently to make sure that your rights and your family's best interests are protected during what can be a stressful and emotional process.

Call our law offices at (516) 227-5353 to discuss your case.

Circumstances Leading to Post-Divorce Modifications in NY

Common disagreements that can lead to a post-divorce modification include the non-payment of child support or spousal maintenance. The individual who isn't receiving payments can seek legal support to force the other party to meet their obligations. For example, the court could garnish wages from an ex-spouse's paycheck to make sure they meet their payments.

It's also possible for the court to step in when there are issues about child custody and visitation rights. When one parent continues to deny the other court-ordered custody and visitation rights, the court may add additional stipulations or orders. For example, if your ex keeps your child longer that the orders specified, you might be able to enforce strict adherence to the order.

Considering Significant Life Changes

Most of these court orders don't result from major disagreements, but from significant life changes. If the divorce proceedings took place when one spouse was earning significantly more than the other, it could have led to lopsided spousal maintenance or child support payments. If the other spouse now earns more, or if the spouse who has to make payments is no longer employed, they may no longer be able to adhere to the court orders.

That's why so many post divorce modifications are made in cases where one person loses a job, moves away, has a substance abuse problem, or is suffering from a disease and can no longer adhere to the original order. In fact, the court prefers to not make changes. It often takes a significant life change for the court to actually step in and make a change in the agreement.

Contacting an Experienced Nassau County Post Divorce Modification Lawyer

If you're interested in modifying the terms of your divorce, it's important to gather evidence that supports your reasons. For example, if your ex-spouse is continually keeping your children from you, document those types of lapses. If you're being refused payments, keep records of when you are paid. If your financial situation is now different, gather payment receipts to document those changes. Contact a Long Island post divorce modification attorney who will help you make the post divorce modifications you need. Call the Law Offices of Paul A. Boronow, PC at (516) 227-5353 to schedule a no-cost, no-obligation consultation.

More Information

Share This WebsiteE-mail a link to this website

More questions about Divorce?

Call us today at 516-227-5353 for a free consultation

Dedicated. Compassionate. On Your Side

New York Bar Association Memberships

Admitted in New York
State, Second
Judicial Department
U.S. District Court for
the Eastern District
of New York
U.S. District Court for
the Southern District
of New York
Matrimonial Mediator:
Nassau County Special
Master-Neutral Evaluation
Matrimonial Arbitrator:
Nassau County Supreme
Court Fee Dispute Panel
Nassau County
Bar Association,
Mineola, NY
The American
Bar Association

170 Old Country Road Suite 303
Mineola, NY 11501
Phone: 516-227-5353 |
Contact Us | View Map

Nassau County Post Divorce Modification Lawyer Disclaimer: The legal information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice, nor the formation of a lawyer or attorney client relationship. Any results set forth herein are based upon the facts of that particular case and do not represent a promise or guarantee. Please contact an attorney for a consultation on your particular legal matter. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the state of New York.

© 2021 The Law Offices of Paul A. Boronow, PC All rights reserved - Disclaimer | Site Map